1 pound macaroni
4 slices bacon, diced
1/3 cup flour
2 cans evaporated milk
2 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded American cheese
1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
3 slices bread
4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook macaroni, al dente. Refrigerate drained macaroni.
- Cook bacon until crispy in large pot (you can use the one from the macaroni). Remove bacon and set aside.
- Stir flour into bacon fat and cook about a minute. Whisk in evaporated milk, whole milk, hot sauce, nutmeg, mustard, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat and mix in the cheeses until melted. Stir in the macaroni.
- Transfer to cooking dish. To cook later, cover and refrigerate up to 1 day.
- When ready to cook, tear up bread and pulse it in food processor with 4 T melted butter for topping. Bacon may be mixed into the topping as well (photo shows without bacon).
- If cooking immediately, top warm macaroni mixture with bread topping and cook for 25 minutes. If cooking later, heat macaroni mixture for 30 minutes, then top with bread topping and cook additional 20 minutes.